Thompson Potato Farm originated in 1943 as a dairy and potato farm under the direction of Don Thompson. Don and his wife Marion raised their family of five children on the farm. Don worked the land and looked after the animals. Marion had a passion for writing that she squeezed in between raising her family and her full-time job as a teacher. Don was thrilled when his son John decided to join him as a full-time farmer in the 1970s.
In the late 1980s, Don and John decided to streamline. So they sold the dairy herd and focused all their attention on mastering growing and selling potatoes. The farm acquired a third full-time farmer when John’s son R.J. joined them in 1994. In 2000, the product line was expanded with the acquisition of a new peeling line which provides customers with fresh peeled potatoes and fries. They began selling their crop at the Ontario Food Terminal in 2004. This eventually led to the buying and resale of fresh produce to restaurants and at the farm door.